Society of Contributors to the Fine Arts in Transcarpathian Ruthenia
Society of Contributors to the Fine Arts in Transcarpathian Ruthenia (Товариство деятелей зображаючих іскуств на Подкарпатськой Русі; Tovarystvo deiatelei zobrazhaiuchikh iskustv na Podkarpatskoi Rusi). A society of artists, established in 1931 in Uzhhorod and headed by Adalbert Erdeli. It had 40 non-Ukrainian and Ukrainian members, including Yosyp Bokshai, A. Boretsky, Andrii Dobosh, and E. Kontratovych. The society held annual exhibitions, and its members received government travel grants. After the imposition of Hungarian rule in 1939, the society was renamed the Union of Subcarpathian Artists.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]