Southwestern land

Southwestern land (Russian: Yugo-zapadnyi krai). An administrative territory set up by the Russian government in Right-Bank Ukraine in 1832. Known officially as Kyiv general gubernia, it consisted of Kyiv gubernia, Podilia gubernia, and Volhynia gubernia and existed until 1917. The designation ‘southwestern’ was in the context of the territory of the Russian Empire, and ‘Yugo-Zapadnaia Rossiia’ (Southwestern Russia) was also frequently used to refer to Russian-ruled Ukraine (eg, Arkhiv Iugo-Zapadnoi Rossii). That centralist Russian viewpoint remained in the terminology of the Soviet administration, wherein names such as ‘Pivdenno-zakhidnyi ekonomichnyi raion SSSR’ (Southwestern Economic Region of the USSR) were used to refer to Ukraine.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]

List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Southwestern land entry:

A referral to this page is found in 3 entries.

Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.