Stakhanov [Стаханов; Staxanov]. Map: V-19, DB Map: DBII-5. A city (2012 pop 92,132) on the Kamyshuvakha River in Luhansk oblast. It originated in the mid-19th century, when coal mining was developed in the region, as the workers’ settlement of Shubynka. From 1898 to 1978 it was called Kadiivka, and then it was renamed in honor of Aleksei Stakhanov. It was granted city status in 1932. Today the city has several coal mines and a central coal enrichment plant. It is also an important metallurgical and machine-building center with an iron-ore refinery, ferrous alloys plant, a machine-building factory, a railway-car plant, and a coke-chemical plant.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]

List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Stakhanov entry:

A referral to this page is found in 2 entries.

Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.