Storozhynets [Сторожинець; Storožynec’]. Map: V-6. A city (2001 pop 14,693) on the Seret (Siret) River and a raion center in Chernivtsi oblast. The town was first mentioned in historical documents in 1448, when it was part of the Moldavian principality. In the 16th century it was under Turkish rule, and from 1774, under Austria. In 1854 the town was granted city status. By the end of the 19th century it had developed into a small manufacturing and trading center with a population of 7,000. In 1904 it became a county center. After the First World War the city was occupied by Romania, and in 1940 it was annexed by the Ukrainian SSR. Today it has a lumber-manufacturing complex. It's forestry tekhnikum, located partly in the Orenstein family palace (1912), includes a large dendrological park.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]