Subotiv. Map: IV-13. A village (2001 pop 875) on the Tiasmyn River in Chyhyryn raion, Cherkasy oblast. At the beginning of the 17th century Subotiv was a khutir belonging to Mykhailo Khmelnytsky, and after 1622, to his son Bohdan. After coming to power in 1648, Bohdan Khmelnytsky built a fortified palace there and established Subotiv as the hetman's residence. The town was destroyed by the Poles in 1664 and was annexed by Poland three years later under the Treaty of Andrusovo. In 1793 the village was ceded to Russia, and became a part of Bratslav vicegerency and, from 1797, Kyiv gubernia. Bohdan Khmelnytsky and his son, Tymish Khmelnytsky, were buried in Saint Elijah's Church (built in 1653) in Subotiv. A fortified settlement from the 9th century BC has been excavated nearby.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]