Sumy State Pedagogical University
Sumy State Pedagogical University (Сумськийй державний педагогічний університет ім. А. Макаренка; Sumskyi derzhavnyi pedahohichnyi universytet im. A. Makarenka). An institution of higher learning in Sumy, under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education. Founded in 1924 as an institution offering higher pedagogical courses, it became a pedagogical tekhnikum in 1925 with the rights of a higher pedagogical institution. In 1930 it was transformed into one of the institutes of people's education, and in 1933 it became a pedagogical institute. It was named after Anton Makarenko in 1955. In 1999 it was reorganized into a state pedagogical university and assumed its present name. The university has three institutes (philology, physical culture, and pedagogy and psychology) and four faculties (natural sciences-geography, physics-mathematics, arts, and history). The student enrollment in 2011 was approximately 8,000. The institute has a botanical garden and research library of over 1 million volumes.
[This article was updated in 2011.]