Sutkivtsi [Сутківці; Sutkivci]. Map: IV-7. A village (2005 pop 1,249) in Yarmolyntsi raion, Khmelnytskyi oblast. The remnants of a castle (16th century) and the fortified Church of the Holy Protectress, built in 1476 by the Sutkowski family, are located there. The church-stronghold is a two-story, cruciform structure with a square center and four apses that form semicircular towers. Each corner of the center is topped by a small turret. Incompetent restoration at the beginning of the 20th century changed the original appearance of the church. The interior frescoes have been covered over with plaster.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]