Tarashcha [Тараща; Tarašča]. Map: IV-11. A city (2016 pop 10,937) on the Kotlui River and a raion center in Kyiv oblast. It was founded on territory belonging to Poland in 1709 and was granted the rights of Magdeburg law in 1791. After the partition of Poland in 1793, it was annexed by Russia, and in 1800 it became a county center in Kyiv gubernia. During the Ukrainian struggle for independence (1917–20), the Tarashcha uprising directed againts the German army and the Hetman government took place in the region of Tarashcha. In 1957 the town was granted city status. Today Tarashcha is an agricultural town with a cheese factory, fruit-canning factory, fish farm, and mixed-feed plant. For many years, it was the home of a research station of the Ukrainian Scientific Research Institute of the Economics and Organization of Agriculture.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]