Teachers' Hromada of Subcarpathian Ruthenia
Teachers' Hromada of Subcarpathian Ruthenia (Учительська громада Підкарпатської Руси; Uchytelska hromada Pidkarpatskoi Rusy). A teachers' society founded in 1929, with its headquarters in Uzhhorod. Its membership consisted of disaffected members of the Russophile Teachers' Society of Subcarpathian Ruthenia. The Hromada campaigned for the Ukrainization of Ruthenian schools in Transcarpathia and was active in many facets of Ukrainian cultural and educational life. It published the monthly Uchytel’s’kyi holos and Nasha shkola (Mukachevo) and advocated the use of Ukrainian-language books in schools. The leading members of the organization were Avhustyn Voloshyn, Yuliian Revai, and Avhustyn Shtefan. The Hromada was soon supported by the overwhelming majority of Ukrainian teachers in Transcarpathia, and claimed a membership of 1,650 in 1938. It was dissolved following the Hungarian occupation of Carpatho-Ukraine in 1939.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]