Transdnieper region

Transdnieper region [Задніпров’я; Zadniprovia]. A term used mostly in the 16th and early 17th centuries to designate Ukrainian lands on the left bank of the Dnieper River. At that time those territories were sparsely settled and came under the control of Lithuania (from 1569, Poland) and Muscovy. (See also Left-Bank Ukraine and Slobidska Ukraine.)

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]



This subject is not referenced in any other entries in the Internet Encyclopedia of Ukraine.


















Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.