Trinity–Saint Elijah's Monastery

Image - The Trinity Cathedral (1679-95) at the Trinity-Saint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv. Image - The panorama of the Trinity-Saint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv with the Trinity Cathedral (1679-95) in the foreground. Image - The iconostasis of the Saint Elijah's Church (late 12th-century) at the Trinity-Saint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv.

Trinity–Saint Elijah's Monastery (Troitsko-Illinskyi manastyr). An Orthodox monastery situated in Chernihiv. It is believed to have been founded in 1069 by Saint Anthony of the Caves and situated beside the late 12th-century Saint Elijah's Church. It was sacked by the Tatars in 1239 and not rebuilt until the mid-17th century. Reconstruction of Saint Elijah's Church started in 1646 under the patronage of the colonel of Chernihiv, Stepan Pobodailo. Buildings added later included the baroque-style Trinity Cathedral in 1679–95 (funded by the Chernihiv colonel V. Dunyn-Borkovsky and Hetman Ivan Mazepa), refectories, the Church of the Presentation at the Temple (1677), monks' cells (1670s–1680s and 1750s–1780s), a baroque bell tower (1775), and a surrounding wall (early 18th century). From 1679 the monastery housed the Chernihiv printing press. The monastery was closed down in 1799 and converted into the residence of the bishop of Chernihiv. It served that function until it was closed by the Soviet regime in the 1920s.


Image - Saint Elijah's Church (late 12th-century) at the Trinity-Saint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv. Image - Saint Elijah's Church (late 12th-century) at the Trinity-Saint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv. Image - The iconostasis of the Trinity Cathedral (1679-95) at the Trinity-Saint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv. Image - Gate of the Trinity-Saint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv. Image - The barogue bell tower (1775) of the Trinity-Saint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv. Image - The Trinity Cathedral (1679-95) at the Trinity-Saint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv. Image - Saint Anthony's cave at the TrinitySaint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv. Image - An underground chapel in the cave complex of Saint Anthony's caves at the TrinitySaint Elijah's Monastery in Chernihiv.


List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Trinity–Saint Elijah's Monastery entry:


A referral to this page is found in 7 entries.



Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.