Trostianets (Sumy oblast)

Image - Trostianets (Sumy oblast): Church of the Assumption (interior). Image - Trostianets (Sumy oblast): Church of the Assumption. Image - Trostianets (Sumy oblast): 18th-19th-century palace.

Trostianets (Sumy oblast) [Тростянець; Trostjanec’]. Map: III-15. A city (2011 pop 21,583) on the Boromlia River and a raion center in Sumy oblast. It was founded in the early 17th century by Cossacks from Right-Bank Ukraine. From 1780 the village belonged to Okhtyrka county of Kharkiv vicegerency, which was reorganized into Slobidska Ukraine gubernia in 1797 and into Kharkiv gubernia in 1835. From 1877 a railway line connected Trostianets with Kharkiv and Sumy and stimulated its industrial growth. In 1940 it was granted city status. Today it has an electric-appliance factory, a sugar refinery, a chocolate factory, and a lumber and woodworking plant. It was the home of a forestry research station of the Ukrainian Scientific Research Institute of Forest Management and Agroforest Amelioration.

The city’s architectural monuments include the Round Court (1749) and the Church of the Annunciation (1750). Trostianets is the birthplace of Mykola Khvylovy.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]

Image - Trostianets (Sumy oblast): The Round Court (1749).

List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Trostianets (Sumy oblast) entry:

A referral to this page is found in 2 entries.

Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.