Trostianets (Vinnytsia oblast)
Trostianets (Vinnytsia oblast) [Тростянець; Trostjanec’]. Map: V-10. A town smt (2010 pop 8,591) on the Trostianets River and a raion center in Vinnytsia oblast. It is first mentioned in historical documents in 1598, when it belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1793 it was annexed by Russia, and became part of Bratslav county in Podilia gubernia. In 1957 the village was granted smt status. It has a distillery, a mixed-feed factory, a dairy, and a meat-packing complex.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]