Tsiurupynsk [Цюрупинськ; Cjurupyns'k]. Map: VII-13. A city (2011 pop 25,217) and port on the Konka River and a raion center in Kherson oblast. In the 10th to 13th centuries the trade and defense outpost of Oleshia stood in the vicinity of today’s city. From the 15th to 18th centuries the territory was under the control of the Crimean Khanate, which permitted the Zaporozhian Cossacks to establish the Oleshky Sich there (1711–28). In 1784 the site of the Cossack fortress was settled by state peasants, and the village was named Oleshky. When Tavriia gubernia was set up in 1802, Oleshky became the center of Dnieper county. Its name was changed to the current one in 1928. Today the city is an agricultural and health resort center. It has a cellulose and paper plant, a fish-processing complex, a juice factory, and a winery. It is the home of the Lower Dnieper Scientific Research Station for Sands Afforestation and Viticulture.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]