Turiisk [Турійськ; Turijs'k]. Map: II-5. A town smt (2011 pop 5,697) on the Turiia River and a raion center in Volhynia oblast. It is first mentioned in the chronicles under the year 1097. From 1340 it belonged to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and from 1569, to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. It obtained the rights of Magdeburg law in 1759. After the partition of Poland in 1795, Turiisk was annexed by Russia. In the interwar period it was occupied by Poland. After the Second World War it was incorporated into the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]