Ukrainian Historical-Philological Society

Ukrainian Historical-Philological Society [Українське історично-філологічне товариство; Ukrainske istorychno-filolohichne tovarystvo]. A Ukrainian learned society founded in Prague in 1923 and affiliated with the Ukrainian Free University. It held semimonthly sessions featuring scholarly lectures and published offset editions of its members’ essays and five volumes of its proceedings (1926–44). Its members participated in European Slavic conferences. Most of its approximately 50 members were specialists in Ukrainian history or philology and worked as scholars and teachers in Czechoslovakia. Its president was Dmytro Antonovych (1923–45), and its prominent members included Oleksander Kolessa, Vasyl Bidnov, and Symon Narizhny. The society was disbanded when the Soviet Army occupied Prague and was revived briefly in Munich in 1946 under the leadership of Vadym Shcherbakivsky.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Ukrainian Historical-Philological Society entry:


A referral to this page is found in 11 entries.















Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.