Ukrainian Law Society
Ukrainian Law Society (Українське правниче товариство; Ukrainske pravnyche tovarystvo). An organization of Ukrainian lawyers and jurists founded in 1922 in Prague to continue the work of the Ukrainian Law Society (Kyiv) that had existed in 1917–20. It sponsored academic lectures and conferences and published Rostyslav Lashchenko’s monograph on Lithuanian-Ruthenian law and the text of Ruskaia Pravda. At its height in 1933, it had over 60 members, many of whom were teachers and professors of various Ukrainian higher schools in Czechoslovakia. It also included some corresponding members in Transcarpathia. The society’s presidents were Lashchenko (1922–9), Andrii Yakovliv, Kost Losky, and Stanyslav Dnistriansky. The society ceased functioning during the Nazi occupation.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]