Ukrainian Law Society (Kyiv)
Ukrainian Law Society (Kyiv) (Українське правниче товариство; Ukrainske pravnyche tovarystvo). An organization of Ukrainian lawyers, judges, and jurists founded in Kyiv in May 1917. The president was Vasyl Voitkevych-Pavlovych, and the vice-president was Rostyslav Lashchenko; other prominent members included Hryhorii Vovkushivsky, Andrii Viazlov, Andrii Yakovliv, Mykhailo Tkachenko, Mykhailo Korchynsky, and Illia Shrah. The society was dissolved in 1920 after the Bolsheviks occupied Kyiv. A branch of the organization existed in Poltava (1917–19).
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]