Vasyliv (Bukovyna) [Василів]. A village (1980 pop 1,300) on the right bank of the Dnister River in Zastavna raion, Chernivtsi oblast. One of the oldest settlements in Bukovyna, it is mentioned in the Hypatian Chronicle under the year 1230. In medieval times it was a trading center on the route from Halych principality to the Black Sea. It declined after the Mongol invasion of 1240. In 1958–9 and 1967 archeologists uncovered the remains of a 12th- to 13th-century wooden church, a pagan temple, 12 stone sarcophagi, and many imported artifacts.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]