Verkhovyna [Верховина; Verxovyna]. Map: V-5. A town smt (2017 pop 5,847) on the Chornyi Cheremosh River and a raion center in Ivano-Frankivsk oblast. Known as Zhabie until 1962, it was first mentioned in historical documents in 1424. Until 1772 it was under Polish rule, and subsequently under Austrian and Polish (1919–39) rule. After the Second World War it became part of the Ukrainian SSR. In 1962 the village was granted the status of the urban-type settlement. It has a forest-products manufacturing complex and a mineral-water bottling plant (see Mineral waters).
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]