Vistnyk (Vienna)

Vistnyk (Vienna) («Вістник»; Herald). An official government newspaper for Ukrainians in the Austrian Empire, published in Vienna from February 1850 to 1866 as the continuation of Halycho-ruskii vistnyk. Frequent subtitle changes included Povremenne pis’mo ... rusynov austriiskoi derzhavy (1850–1), Dlia rusynov austriiskoi derzhavy (1852), Chasopys’ politicheskaia dlia rusynov austriiskoi derzhavy (1857), and Chasopys’ uriadova ... dlia rusynov austriiskoi derzhavy (1865). It contained decrees and laws passed by parliament and articles on political, religious, and educational issues. The paper appeared three times a week (1850–1, 1861–2), semiweekly (1852–60, 1863–5), and weekly (1866). It was edited by Ivan Holovatsky (1850–2) and, later, by Yu. Vyslobotsky.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]

List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Vistnyk (Vienna) entry:

A referral to this page is found in 4 entries.

Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.