Volhynia Research Society
Volhynia Research Society (Russian: Общество исследователей Волыни; Obshchestvo issledovatelei Volyni). A regional studies society in Zhytomyr from 1900 to 1917. Its chairman was the governor of Volhynia gubernia, M. Melnikov. The vice-chairman was Pavlo Tutkovsky. Members of the society’s council were Orest Fotynsky, Vasyl Kravchenko, V. Dvernytsky, Yu. Shulikov, A. Księżopolski, N. Bellonin, R. Renning, and T. Zakusylo. The treasurer was A. Brzozowska. The society published the serial Trudy (13 vols, 1902–15), containing studies of Volhynia’s geography, geology (mainly by Tutkovsky), natural environment, ethnography, and history. In 1900 it established what is now the Zhytomyr Regional Studies Museum. Part of the society’s library is preserved at the National Library of Ukraine in Kyiv.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]