Volhynia vicegerency [Волинське намісництво; Volynske namisnytstvo]. An administrative-territorial unit established in 1793 after Russia’s annexation of Volhynia from Poland. The vicegerency consisted of the entire Volhynia voivodeship and the southern portion of Kyiv voivodeship. Until 1795 its capital was Iziaslav (Zaslav); hence, it was known as Iziaslav vicegerency. Then the capital was moved to Novohrad-Volynskyi, and the vicegerency was renamed. When the vicegerencies were replaced by gubernias in 1797, the largest part of the territory was included in Volhynia gubernia. Only Radomyshl county was transferred to Kyiv gubernia.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]