Vynohradiv [Виноградів]. Map: V-4. A city (2018 pop 25,462) on the Tysa River and a raion center in Transcarpathia oblast. Until 1946 it was known as Sevliush or Sevluš. The settlement originated in the 9th century around the Slavic fortress of Kanko. At the end of the 11th century it came under Hungarian rule and was renamed Sevliush. At the end of the 17th century it was annexed by Austria, and in 1919 it was awarded to Czechoslovakia. Officially part of Ukraine since 1945, it was granted city status in 1946. Today the city is an industrial and communications center. It is the home of the Elektron Manufacturing Consortium, a plastic sanitary-products plant, and sewing, footwear, canning, and cheese factories. Its architectural monuments include the remains of the medieval castle, the Perényi palace (15th century), a Franciscan church (14th–15th century), and a 16th-century Church of the Elevation of the Cross. The Paleolithic Korolevo archeological site which provides the oldest evidence of human presence in eastern Europe (950,000 years ago) is located in the vicinity of Vynohradiv.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]