Yaroslavsky, Petro [Ярославський, Петро; Jaroslavs'kyj], b 1750 in Okhtyrka, Slobidska Ukraine, d after 1810. Architect. He studied art at Kharkiv College and architecture under V. Bazhenov in Moscow (1773–5). From 1781 he was assistant architect of Kharkiv vicegerency (later Kharkiv gubernia). He prepared the city plans for Kharkiv and other towns of the vicegerency, and he designed the vicegerent’s hall (1782–5), the food warehouse (1785–7), the post office (1804), and residential buildings in Kharkiv. Among his important works are the churches in Babai (1782), Okhtyrka (1783), Sumy (1790), Kostiantynivka (1797), and Parkhomivka (1808). He also designed government buildings in the Kursk region, Chernihiv region, and Novhorod-Siverskyi region. His buildings show the influence of the traditions of the Ukrainian baroque and classicism.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]