Zaborovsky Gate (Zaborovskoho brama). (Photo: Zaborovsky Gate.) The main entrance to the grounds of the former residence of the metropolitan of Kyiv (see Kyiv metropoly). It was built in 1746–8 in the baroque style by Johann Gottfried Schädel in the wall encircling the Saint Sophia Cathedral and was financed by Metropolitan Rafail Zaborovsky. The gate had columns with Corinthian capitols, volutes, mascarons, and acanthus leaves. In the 1920s its opening was walled up, and its façade was reconstructed by Vasyl H. Krychevsky. It was restored again in 1946–8.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]