Zboriv [Зборів]. Map: IV-6. A town (2012 pop 7,018) on the Strypa River and a raion center in Ternopil oblast. It was first mentioned in historical documents in the 15th century. In the 16th century it was owned by the Zborowski family of Polish magnates, and from 1624, by Jakub Sobieski. In 1648 its inhabitants revolted against the Poles, and in 1649, during the Cossack-Polish War, Bohdan Khmelnytsky's Cossacks encircled the Polish army in Zboriv (see Battle of Zboriv and Treaty of Zboriv). The town was granted the rights of Magdeburg law in 1689. At the partition of Poland in 1772, the town was annexed by Austria, and eventually it became a county center (1904). In the interwar period it was under Poland. Today it is an agricultural center with a fruit-processing plant and a brick factory. Its baroque Transfiguration Church was built in 1794.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]