Zhytomyr kurhans [Zhytomyrski kurhany; Житомирські кургани]. Rus’ burial mounds of the 11th to 12th century located outside Zhytomyr. Excavations in 1886–7 uncovered a total of 77 small (up to 2 m) kurhans. They contained single burials housed in wooden coffins with grave goods such as tableware, iron and bronze tools, and glass, silver, and carnelian jewelry.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]