Küçük Kaynarca, Peace Treaty of. Treaty marking the end of the Russo-Turkish War of 1768–74. It was signed by the two former adversaries in the village of Küçük Kaynarca in southeast Bulgaria on 21 July 1774. By the terms of the treaty Turkey relinquished control of the northern coast of the Black Sea and left Russia in possession of the lower reaches of the Dnipro River and the Boh River, including Oziv and the fortresses of Kerch, Yenikale, and Kinburn. Russia obtained the right to maintain a fleet on the Black Sea and rights of protection over the Christian population of European countries under Turkish rule. The Crimean Khanate was acknowledged to be independent of Turkey in all except religious matters.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1989).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine