Kryvorivnia [Kryvorivnja]. Map: V-5. A village (1971 pop 1,200) in Verkhovyna raion, Ivano-Frankivsk oblast, situated in the Hutsul region. Kryvorivnia was first mentioned in 1717. At the turn of the 19th century it was a favorite summer resort for Ivan Franko and other Ukrainian scholars and writers, such as Volodymyr Hnatiuk, Mykhailo Hrushevsky, Mykhailo Kotsiubynsky, Lesia Ukrainka, Olha Kobylianska, Les Martovych, Vasyl Stefanyk, and Hnat Khotkevych. In 1953 a literary memorial museum dedicated to Franko (a branch of the Lviv Franko Literary Memorial Museum) was opened there. In the early 1970s the village's name was changed to Kryvopillia.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1989).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine