Lesia Ukrainka Theater [Український драматичний театр ім. Лесі Українки; Ukrainskyi dramatychnyi teatr im. Lesi Ukrainky]. The first Soviet theater in Western Ukraine, established in Lviv in September 1939 on the basis of the former casts of the Kotliarevsky Theater and Yosyp Stadnyk’s theater. The artificial union of these theaters, along with the Soviet repertoire, caused disagreement among the directors, Stadnyk, O. Lein, Vasyl Vasylko, Volodymyr Blavatsky, and Borys Balaban, and produced no great theatrical results. The theater ceased activity in June 1941 and was succeeded by the Lviv Opera Theater.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine