Novomyrhorod [Новомиргород]. Map: V-12. A city (2016 pop 11,328) on the Velyka Vys River and a raion center in Kirovohrad oblast. It was founded in 1740 by Zaporozhian Cossacks of the Myrhorod Regiment at the site of an ancient settlement from the Bronze Age. Then it was settled by peasants, mostly from the Myrhorod region. In 1752–64 Novomyrhorod was a center of New Serbia, and from 1803 it was part of Kherson gubernia. In 1959 the town of Zlatopil and the villages of Vynohradivka and Katerynivka were amalgamated with Novomyrhorod. Today the city manufactures bricks, ceramics, leather, preserves, furniture, and construction materials. It has a coal mine. Its famous Saint Elijah’s Church, built in 1786, is a tourist attraction.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine