Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi Historical Museum (Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi istorychnyi muzei). A museum founded in Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi in 1946 as a historical and regional studies museum; it was given its present name in 1954. The Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi Archeological Museum, the Hryhorii Skovoroda and Volodymyr Zabolotny memorial museums, and the diorama of the Battles for the Dnieper in the Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi Region in 1943 are its branches. Since 1979 the museum has been part of the Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi Historical-Cultural Preserve. In 1988 it had 150,000 archeological, historical, ethnographic, artistic, printed, and numismatic objects in its collections, including items such as a 2nd- to 4th-century chess set, the world's only extant 11th-century candelabra with more than 12 candlesticks, and Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky's sword. In the 1960s the museum published two scholarly collections called Naukovi zapysky. Mykhailo Sikorsky assumed the directorship of the museum in 1951 (and of the preserve in 1979). A guidebook was published in Russian and German in 1972.
Encyclopedia of Ukraine