Sliusarenko, Fedir [Слюсаренко, Федір; Sljusarenko], b 1886 in Cherkasy, d 9 May 1958 in Prague. Classical philologist, historian, and educator. A graduate of the Saint Petersburg Historical-Philological Institute, he was active in the Saint Petersburg Ukrainian Hromada and read public lectures on Ukrainian history and literature. In 1917 he was a member of the executive of the Ukrainian National Council in Petrograd. In 1918 he worked for the government of the Ukrainian National Republic in Kyiv. He emigrated to Vienna and then Prague and taught classical philology and archeology at the Ukrainian Free University (UVU, 1924–39), where he also served as dean of the philosophy faculty (1936–9). He also taught Slavic history at the Ukrainian Higher Pedagogical Institute, classical archeology at the Ukrainian Studio of Plastic Arts in Prague, and Latin at the Ukrainian Gymnasium in Czechoslovakia (Modržany). His studies and articles on the history of ancient Greece and Ukraine (the ancient states on the northern Black Sea coast) were published in the serials of the UVU and the Ukrainian Historical-Philological Society in Prague.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine