Tysmenytsia [Tysmenycja or Tys’menycja]. Map: smt (1983 pop 8,500) on the Vorona River in Ivano-Frankivske raion, Ivano-Frankivske oblast. It was first mentioned in the Hypatian Chronicle under the year 1143. From the end of the 14th century the town was under Polish rule. It was an active trading and manufacturing center on a trade route from Lviv to Moldavia. In 1449 the town was granted the rights of Magdeburg law. It was destroyed by the Turks and Tatars in 1515 and 1676. After the partition of Poland in 1772, it was annexed by Austria, and after 1919 it was under Polish rule. In 1939 it was incorporated into the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. Today its main industries are fur manufacturing and woodworking. Its chief architectural monument is a wooden church from the 18th century.
Encyclopedia of Ukraine