General Little Russian Court
General Little Russian Court (Генеральний малоросійський суд; Heneralnyi malorosiiskyi sud). The highest judicial body in Left-Bank Ukraine from 1797 to 1831. It consisted of a civil and a criminal division and functioned as an appellate court in Little Russia gubernia. Its two judges and ten jurors were elected by the gentry for three-year terms. Located in Chernihiv throughout its existence, the court was subordinated to the Russian Senate.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]