Naranovych, Pavlo [Наранович, Павло; Naranovyč], b 1801 in Chapliivka, Krolevets county, Chernihiv gubernia, d 14 January 1874 in Tsarskoe Selo, near Saint Petersburg. Physician; brother of Petro Naranovych. A graduate of the Saint Petersburg Medico-Surgical Academy (1824), he was a professor of anatomy at the academy (from 1839), chairman of descriptive anatomy (1844), and director of the academy (1867–9). He edited Voenno-meditsinskii zhurnal (1839–40), served as vice-president of the Society of Russian Physicians in Saint Petersburg (1852–66), and helped found the Society for the Care of Sick and Wounded Soldiers (1867), which eventually became the Russian Red Cross Society. He translated medical books from German and wrote articles on anatomy, surgery, and military sanitation.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]