Pavlovsky, Hryhorii [Павловський, Григорій; Pavlovs'kyj, Hryhorij], b 1884 in Lisovychi, Tarashcha county, Kyiv gubernia, d 7 December 1967 in Bronx, New York State. Singer (bass), composer, priest, and teacher; brother of Metodii Pavlovsky. He appeared on stage with Sadovsky's Theater in Kyiv and the Kyiv Opera (see National Opera of Ukraine) in 1910–18, and then became a member of the Ukrainian Republican Kapelle under Oleksander Koshyts. In 1922 he moved to the United States, where he became a cofounder of and professor of singing at the short-lived Ukrainian Conservatory of Music in New York (1924–9). He had his own music school in the 1930s. A supporter of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the USA, he edited the Philadelphia-based journal Dnipro (USA) during the 1940s. His compositions include a liturgical score, sacred songs and other church music, carols, and the arrangements of Ukrainian folk songs.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]