Plevako, Petro [Плевако, Петро], b 21 December 1888 in Dvorichna, Kupiansk county, Kharkiv gubernia, d 4 February 1986 in Paris. Political, civic, and church leader; brother of Mykola Plevako and Oleksander Plevako. A legal assistant of Mykola Mikhnovsky, he became a member of the Central Committee of the Ukrainian Party of Socialist Revolutionaries and of the Central Rada. He was appointed department director in the Ministry of Roads of the Ukrainian National Republic and vice-chairman of the Ukrainian Committee of Railwaymen (1918–19). After emigrating to Vienna in 1919 and then to Paris in 1925, he was active in émigré affairs. In 1953 he became a member of the Metropolitan’s Council of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox church in Europe, and for many years he was chairman of the board of directors of the Petliura Ukrainian Library in Paris. He published M. Plevako’s selected works in 1961.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]