Potelych

Potelych or Potylych [Потелич or Потилич; Potelyč or Potylyč]. See Google Map; EU map: III-4. A former Galician town, now a village (1968 pop 2,500) in Lviv raion, Lviv oblast. It was first mentioned (under the name Telych) in the Galician-Volhynian Chronicle under the year 1262. In 1498 it was granted Magdeburg law. The zenith of Potelych’s development occurred in the 16th and 17th centuries, when it was noted for its pottery and glassworks. Notable examples of wooden church architecture in Potylych are: the Potelych Church of the Holy Ghost, the fortified Trinity Church (built 1593), and the Church of the Nativity of the Mother of God (1607). The latter two churches were destroyed during the Second World War, but 50 works of religious art from all three churches are preserved at the National Museum in Lviv.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Potelych entry:


A referral to this page is found in 6 entries.







Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 
 
©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.