Ananiv [Anan'jiv]. Map: VI-10. City (2005 pop 9,355) located in the southeast of the Podolian Upland; a raion center in Odesa oblast. Ananiv was founded in the mid-18th century and was part of the Ottoman Empire. In 1792 it came under Russian rule in accordance with the Treaty of Iaşi. In 1834 it became a county town in Kherson gubernia. Ananiv has not developed because of its distance from railway lines (in 1926 its population was 18,200). The city has a food industry and consumer-goods industry.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]