Balashevych [Balaševyč]. A family of master founders who worked in Hlukhiv during the second half of the 17th and the first half of the 18th century. In the 1690s Yosyp Balashevych produced cannon with plant arms, and inscriptions. Karpo Balashevych (d 1735) continued his father's traditions. Among his known works are bells executed for the former monastery at Dumeny, ornamented with the portrait and coat of arms of Ivan Mazepa (1699), and cannon, richly decorated with plant ornaments and depictions of animals and fantastic creatures, produced for Col Ivan Charnysh (1713) and Col M. Myloradovych (1717). His works are preserved in museums in Chernihiv, Saint Petersburg, and Moscow. The works of both masters bear their names.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]