Bilohirsk [Білогірськ; Bilohirs'k] (known, to 1945, as Qarasubazar). Map: VIII-15. City (1926 pop 7,500, of which one-third were Tatars; 2012 pop 18,199), near the Crimean Mountains; a raion center in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea. Bilohirsk has eastern characteristics, with ruins of caravansaries and fortresses from the time of the Crimean Khanate, when it was one of the larger trading towns in the Crimea. The city has a food industry.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]