Chernihiv voivodeship [Województwo czernihowskie; Чернігівське воєводство (Chernihivske vojevodstvo)]. Administrative-territorial unit in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, created in 1635. Its center was the city of Chernihiv. The voivodeship was composed of Chernihiv county and Novhorod-Siverskyi county. As a result of the Cossack-Polish War of 1648–54, Chernihiv voivodeship was abolished, and its territories became part of the Chernihiv regiment and Nizhyn regiment.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]