Chudniv [Чуднів; Čudniv]. Map: III-9. Town smt (2016 pop 5,777), raion center in Zhytomyr oblast, situated on the Teteriv River in the northwestern section of the Dnipro Upland. Chudniv was first mentioned as a fortified town in 1416. In 1660 the Muscovite armies under Gen Vasilii Sheremetev capitulated to the Poles at Chudniv, a defeat that led to the signing of the Treaty of Slobodyshche. In the 19th century Chudniv was an important center of agricultural trade (towards the end of the century it had a population of 10,500, of whom one-half were Jews). Today the town has a small food industry, a furniture factory, and a peat-processing enterprise. The city’s notable architectural monuments include four 18th-century churches.
[This article was updated in 2019.]