Dnipro-Kryvyi Rih Canal
Dnipro-Kryvyi Rih Canal [Канал Дніпро-Кривий Ріг; Kanal Dnipro-Kryvyi-Rih]. A canal located in Dnipropetrovsk oblast, built in 1957–61 and reconstructed in 1975–79 to provide water from the Dnipro River for the Kryvyi Rih Iron-ore Basin and the surrounding industrial region. Water for the canal is collected at the Kakhovka Reservoir and raised by a set of 3 pumping stations 83.8 m in order to reach the Pivdenne Reservoir (capacity, 57.3 million cu m). The main canal is 41.3 km in length; it has a winter capacity of 26.5 cu m/sec. and a summer capacity of 44 cu m/sec. From the Pivdenne Reservoir, some water is conveyed by pressure pipelines to the city of Kryvyi Rih; the rest is conveyed by a canal north to the Kresiv Reservoir on the Saksahan River, which helps control the flow of the latter through Kryvyi Rih. Water from the Dnipro-Kryvyi Rih Canal is used primarily for municipal and industrial water supply (929 million cu m per year) and also for irrigation (93 million cu m per year). In 1977 this canal supplied water to irrigate 26,000 ha.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]