Dnipropetrovsk Academic Opera and Ballet Theater
Dnipropetrovsk Academic Opera and Ballet Theater (Дніпропетровський академічний театр опери та балету; Dnipropetrovskyi akademichnyi ukrainskyi teatr opery ta baletu). In 1932-41 Dnipropetrovsk had an opera and ballet theater, formed from the First Traveling Opera of Poltava (est 1928). In 1941 the actors of the Dnipropetrovsk theater were transferred to the Donetsk Opera and Ballet Theater, the Kharkiv Theater of Opera and Ballet, and the Odesa Opera and Ballet Theater. The opera and ballet theater was restored in Dnipropetrovsk in 1974. In 2003 the theater was granted an academic theater status. The repertoire of the present theater in the city of Dnipro consists of world-famous foreign, Russian, and Ukrainian operas and ballet classics. The theater’s opera directors have been P. Surzhyna, N. Poludennyi, and others. Its principal conductor was P. Varyvoda, the choirmaster general was V. Kiose, and its chief stage designer was A. Arefiev. Among the stars of its ballet troupe of 70 dancers have been Z. Zinchenko, A. Petrina, L. Yelynska, N. Voitenko, T. Omelchenko, and Dmytrro Omelchenko.
[This article was updated in 2018.]