Donetsk National Technical University
Donetsk National Technical University [Донецький національний технічний університет; Donetskyi natsionalnyi tekhnichnyi universytet]. The largest Soviet-era institution of higher learning in the Donets Basin, located in the city of Donetsk. Founded in 1921 as the Mining Tekhnikum, it was renamed the Artem Mining Institute in 1926, the Donetsk Industrial Institute in 1935, and the Donetsk Polytechnical Institute in 1960. In 1993 the institute was transformed into the Donetsk State Technical University. In 2001 it was granted the national university status and assumed its present name.
The university consists of six institutes and twenty two faculties, including mining, mining and geology, physics and metallurgy, mechanics and machine building, ecology and chemical technology, radiotechnology, electrotechnology, computer science, and computer technologies and automationl. The university has technical faculties in Bakhmut, Horlivka, Khartsyzk, Zuivka, and Kostiantynivka. It has its own computing center, a television station, and library holdings of over 1.9 million items. The student enrollment is over 22,000.
[This article was updated in 2014.]