Eastern Ukrainian National University
Eastern Ukrainian National University [Східноукраїнський національний університет ім. Володимира Даля; Skhidnoukrainskyio natsionalnyi universytet im. Volodymyra Dalia]. An institution of higher learning in Luhansk. Originally formed in 1920 as the Luhansk People’s Tekhnikum, it was the first engineering school in the Donets Basin. In 1930 it was reorganized into the Luhansk Workers’ Machine-Building Institute. It offered evening courses for workers and was affiliated with Moscow and Kharkiv machine-building institutes. In 1960 it became an independent educational institution and in 1962 day classes were introduced. In 1993 the Eastern Ukrainian State University was formed on the basis of the Luhansk Machine-Building Institute and several other institutions of higher education. In 2000 it was granted a national university status and in 2001 it was named after Vladimir Dahl. The university has six faculties: machine-building, mechanical engineering, international studies, electrotechnical systems, philology, and natural sciences; and seven institutes. The student enrollment is close to 30,000.
[This article was written in 2014.]