Halytskaia Rus’ [Галицкая Русь; Galician Rus']. A Russophile daily newspaper, subsidized by the Russian government, that was published by the Ruthenian Council in Lviv from April 1891 to December 1892. It replaced Chervonaia Rus’ (1888–91), which had been banned. It was edited by O. Avdykovsky and Ivan Pelekh. A total of 215 issues appeared. In a pastoral letter of 22 December 1892, the Ukrainian Galician episcopate forbade the clergy and the faithful to read and propagate the newspaper. Soon afterwards Halytskaia Rus’ ceased publication and in its place Halychanyn (1893–1913) began to appear.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]